Early in 2008, six passionate Tasmanians met to talk about football and, in particular, to broadly explore the concept of a Tasmanian A-League team. This was the beginning of the A-League Taskforce.
It quickly became apparent that the task of conducting a thorough and diligent assessment of the potential for a Tasmanian A-League team would require a substantial amount of work over a number of stages:
• Creation of a suitable entity to pursue the vision of a Tasmanian A-League team.
• An initial round of fundraising to enable a professionally prepared feasibility study to be undertaken.
• The completion of a comprehensive feasibility study encompassing strategic and contingency planning covering all factors necessary for the establishment and long term viability of a Tasmanian A-League team.
• Subject to the outcomes of the feasibility study, the preparation of an application for a provisional A-League team licence to Football Federation Australia by 31 May 2009.
• Subject to the outcomes of the provisional licence application, the implementation of development, fundraising and recruiting strategies for the creation of a Tasmanian A-League team.
• Complete development of corporate, football, membership and sponsorship programs so that Tasmania United FC is ready to participate in the 2010/2011 Hyundai A-League season.
Recognising the critical importance of community support in this challenging undertaking, both at the individual and corporate level, the working brand of Tasmania United FC has been chosen.